Candy is a consumable, Pokémon-related resource that can be used to power up and evolve Pokémon. Candy is acquired by capturing Pokémon (3 for first evolution form, 5 for second evolution form, 10 for last evolution form), or by hatching eggs (various amounts).
Candies can be also used to evolve Pokémon that are capable of evolving. Evolving a Pokemon can cost 12 to 400 pieces of candy.
The type of candy the player receives is specific to the Pokémon. There are several ways to obtain candy for each Pokémon:
- capturing Pokémon in wild or in Raid Battle Bonus Challange, depends on stage of Pokémon evolution:
- 1st stage form of Pokémon evolution - 3 candies,
- 2nd stage form of Pokémon evolution - 5 candies,
- final stage form of Pokémon evolution - 10 candies;
- hatching Pokémon - depend on type of egg;
- transfer of Pokémon;
- using Rare Candy;
- from Buddy Pokémon mechanic.
Each evolutionary line has its own candy type. There are currently 152 different types of candy. Each one represents the base form and is identified by its primary and secondary colors.
- Number of Candy types is equal to number of Pokémon families available currently in the game.
- During the Halloween 2016 Event, candy for hatching, catching or transferring Pokemon was doubled while Buddy Pokémon found candy at a quarter of their required distance.
- During the 2017 Valentine's Day Event, candy for hatching, catching or transferring Pokemon was doubled, and Buddy Pokémon found candy at half their required distance
- During Adventure Week Buddy Pokémon found candy at a quarter of their required distance.